Here we present a brief history of this iconic range of tractors. Please click the thumbnails to view a larger image...you can then scroll to the next/previous images or click the closed button to exit.
The early years, Henry Ford development tractors leading to the famous Fordson Model F in 1917.
The Model proved a to be a popular tractor worldwide, many companies around the world used the Model F for its conversions such as Muir-Hill,
The Fordson Standard known as the Model N or the Standard Fordson followed similar lines to the Model F and was built from 1929 to 1945. Once again many companies altered the Fordson Standard for specific purposes, firms such as Roadless and Automower built winch tractors.
The first Fordson Major appeared in 1945 and today it is commonly referred to as the Fordson E27N, once again Roadless added tracks to the E27N and the Roadless DG4 was introduced in 1945.
The first Fordson E1A New Major tractor appeared in 1951 and became the Ford Motor Co's most popular tractor to date with far too many conversions to mention. Conversions were both for industrial and applications with Ernest Doe producing a reverse drive grader while Monro Ltd fitted its Roataped track system.
In 1957 the E1A Major got a workmate, the smaller Fordson Dexta, these two tractors were capable of most jobs on British farms with many still at work more than 50 years on.
In 1965 a new range of tractor were introduced, the Fordson name disappeared and the tractors were badged as Ford. Cabs were offered as factory fitted options and the horsepower race began with tractors such as the 8600 built in 1972 rated at a maximum 120hp.
The Ford 600 Series introduced in 1975 were sold around the world placing the Ford Motor Co in an enviable position as market leader with the quality of product going from strength to strength.
Ford's TW Series introduced in 1979 through to 1989 saw a range of tractors in the 105 to a maximum 195hp class, With the take over of the Canadian manufacturer Versatile in 1987, Ford had a new range of big 4WD tractors available including the Ford 946 rated at 325hp.
Ford took over New Holland in 1987 to become known as Ford New Holland and the Ford nameplate disappeared in 1996 with the blue tractors being badged as New Holland.
It was probably County Commercial Cars of Fleet in Hampshire who used more Fordson and Ford skid units than any other manufacture world-wide with County tractors being sold to more than 140 countries from 1948 to 1990.